July 8, 2012

still playing with yarn

finally done with my bag project. I think I have to cut the strap short because of the lack of yarn. I'm planning on sewing on a lining, for practical reasons. I wouldn't want my ballpens and coins falling out of it at random (true story).



For this bag, I used a ball of cotton crochet thread and a 5/0 needle. I started off with a long chain, then three triples plus a single chain on the next layers. It's a variation of the granny square, which I learned from my mom's Coats newsletter way back in the 90's. Once I was done with the length, I folded it in half and connected the back and front with chain stitches, with slip stitches every 4th on the spaces.

I love crochetting because I get to create some sort of skin for my projects with just a ball of thread and a handy needle. It's more portable than a loom, and more decorative. There's an instant texture that varies with the type of stitch used. The usual stuff that could be made using woven or knit fabric can have a unique personality once they are made by crochetting.

Here's one of my first few crochet projects that I wear as a bra or as a bikini top. I've made at least a dozen of these, but I gave them away or sold them. I even made a bandeu style that didn't work. It lacked support. Function over aesthetics, right?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...