July 27, 2012

embroidery, applique, paint

It's the very hungry caterpillar! I embroidered it on my sister's apron, which she made herself. I love satin and chain stitches.


It would have been better if the output for each workshop is not required to be complete products. I wish that the development of skills were the main focus because finishing a whole product takes too much time and effort. It's quite draining. It's too much effort for a 3-unit subject.

And I hate multitasking. It's the most ineffective way of getting things done. (http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2001/08/multitasking.aspx and http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2010/05/how-and-why-to-stop-multitaski.html) Finish one task before you start another, or else the quality of work will suffer. And I don't think I'll be able to learn anything new if things keep piling up, so I chose to learn the simplest thing from the workshop. I forgot what it's called, but it's when a cord is stuck between those threads that bind the fabrics together. It wasn't discussed in the workshop. The details of the production process wasn't emphasized, but at least it was in the handouts.


My applique project is simply patchwork. I don't know if I could do anything with this. At least its done. In hindsight, I really wish the techniques were discussed more during the workshop. These are things that I really want to learn some more because this is the only class where I get to have the opportunity to learn. I easily get frustrated when I don't learn anything in class. It's like MY hard earned money is being flushed down the toilet. Not a pretty sight.

I was very pleased with the printing and painting workshop because it's something I'm really interested in but haven't got the opportunity to try out. It involves materials that are not easily accessible for me. These are reagents that would have to be acquired commercially. There are home-remedy types but might not be as effective. It was great that we got exposed to these techniques in the workshop.


Once again, I chose not to put too much effort to this project, unlike my earlier projects. I have to remind myself that even if my goal is to pursue excellence in all the things that I do, I have my priorities. I want to have time to do the things that would contribute to my over-all growth. There's more to education than academics.

Oh, right! it's cnidarina! http://oneonefour2012.tumblr.com/post/18596291171/si-cnidarina-ay-isang-dikya-na-may-balat-na-duyan and http://malayadesigns.blogspot.com/2012/04/jellyfish-gowns.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...