October 4, 2012

ukay

i rarely buy from ukay-ukays. Previously owned clothes are not my thing. I normally buy stuff from ukay-ukays for the fabric and not for the garment. I don't like the idea of having clothing donations from the USA being sold in the Philippines for a price. It may cover the cost of transportation and the sales people's salary, but i do not feel like it's fair that clothes that should go to the needy (when they are in need) are being used for profit. I also think that the presence of ukay-ukays do not help the clothing industry in the philippines. Instead of buying from local garment producers, filipinos would resort to buying cheap imported clothes.

There's an issue with the fit of clothing of imported clothes. Their standards are based on western figures, which we are not. We are smaller and slimmer. The weather in USA is also different from the tropical Philippines. There are clothes that might not suit the needs of a filipino.

The class activity did not change my mind about ukay-ukays. I enjoyed it, it was fun, but i won't do it again if it's not required.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...